Calvary UMC was founded out of the merger of three churches:
Grace Evangelical Church - Founded in 1879
Barron Avenue United Brethren Church - Founded in 1883
Calvary Methodist Church - Founded in 1883
In 1946 two denominations,
the Evangelical & United Brethren Churches,
joined to become the Evangelical United Brethren Church.
The Methodist Church and Evangelical United Brethren Church
united nationally to become the United Methodist Church in 1968.
In the Morrellville area of Johnstown,
three local churches decided to merge, bringing their separate traditions
and locations into one, forming Calvary United Methodist Church.
On July 4th, 1971, at 10:30 a.m.,
each congregation walked to a
central meeting point at the corner of
Fairfield and Chandler Avenues
where they joined together for a procession
to Calvary church for the formal service of Union.
Strong traditions of these faithful and prayerful
congregations became Calvary's commitment
to Christian education and Bible Study for all ages,
choirs and music used in worship and celebration,
and last at the center was a caring congregation
who supports one another in prayer and fellowship.
We're open to the community and to God's call to mission and discipleship.